LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer has asked the FBI to investigate the alleged sexual abuse of children in a police youth outreach program.
Fischer also hired former U.S. Attorney Kerry Harvey to review the investigation conducted by Louisville Metro Police and determine whether “errors were made.”
The Courier-Journal reports (http://cjky.it/2mVua8Q ) a lawsuit filed on behalf of a participant in the Youth Explorer program charges that his alleged rape by Officers Kenneth Betts and Brandon Wood was “concealed” by department officials.
The newspaper reported Police Chief Steve Conrad ended an investigation of alleged improper contact between Betts and a teenage girl in the program because Betts resigned in 2014. Wood is on administrative assignment.
Conrad said he is prohibited from talking about the case because the court documents are sealed.
3/14/17 3:07 p.m.
Youth explorer program suspended amid allegation of abuse
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – Metro Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer has suspended a youth explorer program run by the police department amid an allegation of sex abuse.
Fischer announced the program’s suspension on Monday after The Courier-Journal (http://cjky.it/2mWPrAR) reported that a former participant filed a lawsuit alleging he was sexually assaulted while in the program. The suit was sealed, but the newspaper said it had obtained a copy.
Fischer said the city will ask a judge to unseal the suit. The mayor said the proceedings should be as transparent as possible so the public’s trust in the program can be restored.
Fischer said police Chief Steve Conrad has launched a criminal probe into the allegation.
The suit was sealed at the request of attorney David Yates, who filed it last week of behalf of the former scout.
Information from: The Courier-Journal, http://www.courier-journal.com
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.